Keep photos of your kids, family members, pets or whoever you want on the desktop, real or virtual. Anything or anyone that cheer you up is a good thing. Even if it’s an odd-looking, but cherished doll from your childhood. There is no reason to keep your cloffice extremely professional or too clean in appearance. Surround yourself with items that matter to you. A few droplets of oil can reduce stress and create a calming atmosphere in the cloffice. Some people are not fond of fragrances at all.
- Pegboards are another fun and creative way to create more space.
- Attach the braces to all three walls with the screws going into the drywall anchors first as you see in the video.
- But if you have nothing that you need to put in them, they can certainly feel like a waste of space.
- Thank you so much for linking this up to The Creative Collection Link Party.
Before staining, wipe the desk with a barely damp cloth to clean off the sawdust and open the wood up to get it ready to receive the stain. This especially helps if you put a lot of weight on your desk . Using a level, mark a line 1/2″ below the final height of your finished desk. I made my desk 28 1/2″ because my 30″ desk was a little high for spending long hours typing.
Consider using wallpaper instead of painting a cloffice
Combined with some storage, greenery, lighting, power women… A cloffice,” says a communications convert closet to office expert Lahari Rao on her Instagram page @lalalahariA chair and a desktop.
- If you want to add a more luxurious feel to your cloffice, an ornate chandelier hanging from the ceiling does wonders.
- That said, with cloud-based everything, it may be possible for you to fit in more than you thought possible, even if it isn’t physically in your closet office.
- Just because you’re working out of a closet doesn’t mean that your new office space has to look like, well, a utility closet.
- If you are concerned about it being able to vent properly, cut a large decorative opening in the side of the base cabinet.
- Once all paint has dried and all moulding and shelves have been installed, carefully move the desk into the closet and onto the supports.
A stiff painter’s tool or putty knife works well for this. I filled the holes with Durabond 90, a tough drywall repair compound that is great for filling large gaps. I then smoothed everything over with thinner pre-mixed drywall compound. It is made almost entirely out of maple veneer plywood, with a few supports made of 2x4s. There is a ton of shelf space on either side for all of his gear. Maybe he’ll actually use it to do his homework, too.
Step Five: Put It All Together
We’ve picked a few of our favourite temporary papers. Peel and stick is a great way to go here https://remotemode.net/ to keep it a simple diy project. You don’t have to go to the expense of adding built-ins.
We installed our shelf in the center of the horizontal lattice moulding. Have one person hold the board level and in place while the other uses the pocket hole screws and a drill to attach the shelf to the studs. Once the board has been secured to the wall, paint the inside of the pocket holes, including the screws! This hides the pocket hole attachments and gives the shelf that true floating look. If you’re currently rocking a one-bedroom apartmentor your kid needs a study space for back to “school,” then you know that having extra office space can seem like a luxury. If you’re stuck wading through work space to find your dinner, it’s time to get creative. Enter this crafty solution from Vanessa Wearmouth!
Storage for supplies
To make the cloffice look like an alcove, paint it a slightly different shade from the rest of the room. Leave the door frame painted white to make it pop. You can even use chalk board paint inside the closet if your kid is a doodler. Another important consideration when building a cloffice is what chair you’ll be using and where you’re going to store it.
Can an office have a closet?
You Can Reduce the Clutter in Your Office
Instead of having a myriad of items on top of your desk and underneath it, you can simply place this stuff in your closet. That way, you will have an easier time finding what you need. You can even store equipment in your home office closet when you don't require it.
Expanding your cloffice storage with drawers is a relatively simple process that works for every space. Feel free to buy a desk with built-in drawers or make your own. Then get drawer slides and attach your DIY drawers to the desktop. Are you planning to use the existing shelves inside the closet? Would it be better if you take these out and add new shelves to the small area? Perhaps, you want to add hooks for lighting or hanging some decorations. These hooks can be useful for fitting cabinets, too.
Attach them to the ceiling of the closet or if there are shelves above the desk, stick the puck lights under it. These are bright lights and buying a couple of them should considerably cheer up the space. The oatmeal container you just emptied might be perfect for holding office supplies, or that empty salsa jar could be used as a pen holder. Shoe boxes are great for storage, and they stack easily on top of one another. You can decoupage everything to match using wrapping paper. I ended up using two different types of wallpaper.
- And you can still build it in a closet to save floor space.
- “By simply removing the doors of your closet and adding a handsome chest or cabinet, you can turn a closet into a bar,” explains designer Marcus Mohon.
- “It’s super easy but requires attention and patience,” she adds.
- Unless you really need it for privacy, consider removing the closet door completely.
- Think about the ways you can improve the existing lighting or if you would rather add more lighting fixtures.